Jet VBS-18MW Bandsaw
|Owing to it's dangerous nature, delicate nature, or expense, this tool requires that you be inducted on it's proper handling before use.|
The Jet VBC-18 is a large industrial bandsaw that's capable of cutting wood up to 300mm thick which is situated in the loading bay downstairs. It's suitable for use on all forms of timber although the blade that's normally left on it is a coarse ripping blade best suited for rough-cutting of softer timbers like pine, plywood, MDF etc. For use with hardwoods we keep a stock of finer blades and the blade-change procedure is covered in level-2 induction. It's also capable of cutting metals when a suitable blade is fitted, including steel, aluminium, brass, stainless steel and non-hardened tool steels; It cannot cut hardened steels or chrome. The bandsaw is fitted with an automatic dust extraction system that will turn on whenever the blade is moving.
The Manual for the bandsaw is available here. There are 2 levels of induction available for the bandsaw, level-1 induction covers the basic safe use of the saw, level-2 covers topics such as blade changing, adjustments to get best performance, and some maintenance tasks. There is a card-lock on the bandsaw that will prevent use unless you are recorded as having had at least level-1 induction.
The bandsaw uses a 3480mm (137") blade, members are welcome to keep their own blades if they prefer instead of using the supplied ones, so long as the standard 19mm 3tpi ripper blade is put back on when you're done.
|27th October 2021||Functional|
Parts and upgrades that are planned/Budgeted/Purchased for in the near future
Jet Bandsaw Caretakers
The following people are able to provide inductions on the Jet Bandsaw
|Steve-R||Level-1 & 2|
These are the people who look after and repair the Jet bandsaw, they're the ones to contact if there's any problems with it
If you make any non-trivial changes to the Jet bandsaw or perform maintenance please note it here, delete records older than 1 yr
- Clean and wax table Jmf (talk) 11:11, 7 August 2021 (BST)
- Clean and re-wax table Stever (talk) 09:53, 15 July 2021 (BST)
- Change blade, clean and lubricate, adjust alignment and blade lead Stever (talk) 13:43, 16 June 2021 (BST)
- Clean and wax table Stever (talk) 18:57, 28 May 2021 (BST)
- Change bandsaw blade (we're out, ordered more), clean saw, check and adjust alignment and blade lead Stever (talk) 17:24, 20 May 2021 (BST)
- Clean bearings, clean mechanisms, deburr upper guard support rail, adjust tracking and blade lead Stever (talk) 19:49, 6 May 2021 (BST)
- Fitting automatic dust extract controller
- Fitted new blade & table insert. Fix blade tracking and lead. Stever (talk) 16:37, 15 February 2020 (UTC)
- Updated card reader to latest software version Jmf (talk) 14:34, 15 February 2020 (UTC)
- Changed all blade-guide bearings Stever (talk) 16:22, 14 February 2020 (UTC)